It only takes 24 hours for plaque that is not removed from your teeth to turn into tartar! Daily home cleaning helps control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, we will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year. At these cleaning appointments, the pocket depths will be carefully checked to ensure that they are healthy. In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
• Examination of diagnostic x-rays: Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
• Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
• Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
• Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
• Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
• Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.